Top
Millennium Post

‘Jat quota stir could take explosive turn’

‘Jat quota stir could take explosive turn’
Meanwhile, the government has invited Jat leaders for talks on quota demand on Friday afternoon. Till then, as per reports, Jats would not resume agitation. In case the talks fall out, the outcome, as predicted by the top NDA source, could be catastrophic.

The source in the Central government told Millennium Post, “If the Assembly does not bring the legislation to provide reservation for the Jats, and in case they decide to agitate yet again, then their protest will be like a volcanic eruption. It also depends on what the Haryana government tables in this legislation. It needs to be seen if Jats would be satisfied by its provisions.”

Jat leaders have been threatening to restart their agitation in case the BJP-led Haryana government is not be able to fulfill their demands by Thursday. Meanwhile, the government sought paramilitary forces from the Centre to be deployed in sensitive areas.

“Paramilitary force has been demanded (through state Home department) from the Centre and we will get the same,” said Sanjay Kumar, IGP, Rohtak Range. He said additional force had also been arranged from within the state. “We have made adequate police security arrangements. We have adequate force and we are deploying it accordingly,” he added. However, Kumar refused to comment on how many personnel have been deployed in case Jats resume their agitation.

Threatening to resume their agitation, Hawa Singh Sangwan, president of the Akhil Bhartiya Jat Mahasabha on Monday had said, “The state government has time till March 17. So far, the government has not responded to any of our demands.”

The Jats, along with Bishnoi, Jat Sikh, Rode and Tyagi communities, will be given 10% reservation under the special OBC category that is being created by Chief Minister ML Khattar’s government. Khattar has assured that the existing 27% quota for OBCs will remain untouched.

The Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti, which is spearheading the protests, has also demanded withdrawal of cases against those booked for rioting and arson during the violent protests last month. The state government has stepped up security in Rohtak and Jhajjar towns, the epicentre of the protests. It has also asked for 80 companies of paramilitary forces from the Centre to maintain law and order. Reportedly, district administrations in Rohtak, Sonepat, Jhajjar, Jind, Bhiwani and Kaithal have ordered closure of schools and colleges.

The Supreme Court had rejected the inclusion of Jats in the Centre’s OBC list on the ground that the National Commission of Backward Castes does not consider them socially and economically backward in Haryana.
Next Story
Share it