US border deal does not 'thrill' Trump but govt shutdown unlikely
Washington DC: US President Donald Trump has said he was not "thrilled" by a border security deal reached by a bipartisan group of lawmakers but appeared to express openness to the agreement to avert another government shutdown, suggesting that he will find sources of money for his controversial border wall other than Congress.
Democrats and Republicans have struck a deal to offer USD 1.375 billion for 88.5 kilometers of new barriers along the southern border, as well as other border security measures to avert another crippling government shutdown over Trump's wall along the US-Mexico border.
The funding offer is far less than the USD 5.7 billion Trump demanded late last year when he triggered a record partial government shutdown that lasted 35 days. Building a wall along the US-Mexico border is a campaign promise of the 72-year-old Republican President.
Trump said that he is looking at getting USD 23 billion for border security from various sources. Will be getting almost USD 23 BILLION for Border Security. Regardless of Wall money, it is being built as we speak! Trump tweeted as the lawmakers entered into the agreement to prevent another government shutdown after February 15.