Top
Millennium Post

North Korea missile test 'provocative action': Kremlin

North Korea missile test provocative action: Kremlin
X

MOSCOW: North Korea's latest missile test on Wednesday is a "provocative action" that will lead to further tensions, the Kremlin said, appealing for calm on all sides.

"Undoubtedly, another missile launch is a provocative action that provokes a further increase of tensions," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.
"We condemn this launch and hope that all relevant sides remain calm, which is necessary to keep the situation on the Korean peninsula from following the worst scenario," he said.
Pyongyang's launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on Wednesday snapped a two-months pause in testing and was, according to North Korea's state media, more sophisticated than any previously tested. It was the North's third successful ICBM test and poses a new challenge to US President Donald Trump who has vowed such a capability "won't happen." Russia and China have pushed for a road map to end the tensions over North Korea's weapons development,
which would involve the US freezing its military drills in South Korea while Pyongyang would halt its programme.
The Kremlin on Wednesday admitted there was no political solution on the horizon.
"So far there are no occasions for significant optimism," Peskov said when asked whether Russia was discussing the road map with North Korea. Meanhwile, South Korea, Japan and the US have requested an urgent meeting of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to analyse the latest ballistic missile launch by North Korea. According to diplomatic sources, the date for the meeting, which usually takes place behind closed doors, is under discussion, Efe news reported. The meeting could take place on Wednesday, when the Security Council has already scheduled a session to discuss the sanctions regime against Pyongyang.
UN Security Council President Sebastiano Cardi told reporters that this could be an opportunity. The representative of Japan before the UN, Koro Bessho, has condemned North Korea's missile test, noting that the launch, the first to be conducted by Pyongyang in more than 70 days, is "very worrying". "We have condemned them publicly. We
criticize their behaviour in the strongest terms possible," Bessho said at the UN headquarters. His British counterpart Matthew Rycroft said that, if confirmed, the test is "another reckless act by a regime that is more intent on building up its ballistic missile and nuclear capability than it is on looking after its own people."

Next Story
Share it