'25 dead in recent Iran unrest'
Tehran: A total of 25 people were killed in the recent unrest that hit several towns and cities across Iran, the judiciary said on Sunday, with 465 still under arrest.
"Twenty-five people, ordinary citizens and our own forces, were killed during the recent troubles," said judiciary spokesman Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejeie, according to the Mizanonline news agency.
"None were killed by shots from the security forces because they were ordered not to use their weapons," he added. He provided no details on how the members of the security forces or civilians were killed, including six protesters who died while trying to storm a police station in the central province of Isfahan.
The figure was four more than the death toll announced during the unrest that spread across the country between December 28 and January 1.
"At most, there were 465 people under arrest across the country as of yesterday, while a certain number have probably been released since then," Ejeie said, adding that the number included 55 in Tehran.
Reformist lawmaker Mahmoud Sadeghi had said on Tuesday that 3,700 people were arrested during the protests, without saying how many were later released.