Millennium Post

With 2014 in mind, Mulayam talks tough

With 2014 in mind, Mulayam talks tough
Much significance is being attached to the tough talk by Samajwadi Party (SP) president Mulayam Singh Yadav about the dismal performance of Akhilesh Yadav government in Uttar Pradesh.

Mulayam Singh Yadav held the closed door meeting earlier this week with his party ministers, MLAs and MLCs at the residence of his chief minister son Akhilesh Yadav and openly expressed his dissatisfaction with the performance of the government during the last four months.

Mulayam has all the reasons to express his anger at the poor show of Akhilesh Yadav government as the outcome of 2014 Lok Sabha polls will be dependent on what message the public gets from the state government.

That is why Mulayam Singh Yadav reportedly told his party ministers that he was not happy with the majority of them, as they failed to match up to the expectations of the party high command. ‘Only few ministers are doing well while others are not performing according to my expectations,’ Mulayam reportedly commented. Mulayam also took his ministers to task for voicing their differences in public and creating an embarrassment for the chief minister and the party president. The SP chief also took senior minister Azam Khan to task without taking his name. Mulayam said some of the ministers were under the impression that party won because of them while the ground reality remained that party did well because of work done by party workers and cadre.

Mulayam asked his ministers to improve their style of functioning in view of the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls. At the same time, Yadav senior also asked his legislators to behave properly and with more responsibility. Mulayam Singh Yadav asked party legislators and ministers to spread the message of good work done by the previous SP governments for different sections of society, especially the minorities and the poor of UP.

Present at the occasion, Speaker Mata Prasad also asked party MLAs to remain in their constituencies and monitor development projects.

Chief minister Akhilesh Yadav presented his viewpoint before Mulayam Singh Yadav and other senior ministers and legislators that the budget passed in the UP legislature tried to fulfill 80 per cent of the poll promises, while there was still room to make adjustments for the remaining 20 per cent in near future.

According to informed sources, Mulayam Singh Yadav is unhappy with the increasing deterioration of the power situation and poor state of law and order during the first four months of the Akhilesh Yadav government. The SP supremo is also not happy at the manner in which a senior minister like Mohd Azam Khan expressed his dissatisfaction in public when Meerut district was withdrawn from his charge.

Mohd Azam Khan publicly displayed his resentment over the development and offered to quit from all positions occupied by him. Azam Khan, who claims to be the Muslim face of the party, could only be persuaded to remain in the ministry and party when he was given the charge of Meerut again. Significantly, when Akhilesh Yadav was asked to comment on the dissatisfaction expressed by his father Mulayam Singh Yadav, the chief minister said his government would try to do well and improve performance in the future.

Through his tough talks Mulayam Singh Yadav has made it clear that he is not only the party boss and ultimate decision maker, but also that he was worried about the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Mulayam Singh Yadav has plenty of time to deliberate on Lok Sabha polls as he looking for the crucial 50 seats from UP to play the role of kingmaker, if not the king himself, in case a hung Lok Sabha situation arises in 2014. (IPA)
Pradeep Kapoor

Pradeep Kapoor

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top