Millennium Post

WICB president says team picked on the basis of merit

West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) president Dave Cameron has rejected claims that all-rounders Dwayne Bravo and Kieron Pollard were axed from the World Cup squad because of their roles in the controversial abandoned tour of India. Neither player was named in the 15-member squad Saturday to contest the World Cup which bowls off in Australia and New Zealand next month. They were also overlooked for the five-match series against South Africa starting Friday, reports CMC. When the squad for South Africa was announced last month, St Vincent and the Grenadines Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves wrote to Cameron to complain the WICB had ‘dishonoured that undertaking’ of not punishing any player involved in the India tour walk-out. However, Cameron remained adamant the ODI squads for both the South Africa tour and World Cup were selected on merit.

”We have not gone back on our agreement. At the point in time we made it very clear we didn’t want to use the terminology that was being suggested, because if you made any changes to the team then that could be termed. And so we have been very, very firm that as a body we have entrusted that relationship and that decision making to some of the biggest legends we have in West Indies cricket and their judgement is what the board goes by,” Cameron said.
Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top