Millennium Post

Victim’s friend under trauma, to leave Delhi

Victim’s friend under trauma, to leave Delhi
The father of the 28-year-old software engineer, who was beaten and his female friend gang-raped in a moving bus here, Wednesday said he would take him away to their hometown in Uttar Pradesh to help him recover from the harrowing incident.

‘My son has been traumatised. It'll take him months to recover from the incident,’ the lawyer from Gorakhpur said. The 23-year-old woman, who was gang-raped by half-a-dozen men in a moving bus here Sunday night, is battling for life in Safdarjung Hospital here.

 As the father spoke, his son stood by, his head covered with bandages and both his eyes blackened from the beating he had received Sunday night, when he fought with the six men as they raped his female friend.

Standing inside the Saket court to get his statement of the incident recorded before the metropolitan magistrate, the man looked shaken. Some of his relatives stood alongside, offering moral support to him and his father. ‘His statement was recorded before the court today and after consulting doctors, we'll take him back to Gorakhpur,’ the father said.

‘I could not meet the girl so far, as she is very critical and in ICU. But I will try to meet her,’ he said.

‘We are thankful to Delhi Police that they solved the case in 24 hours and put the culprits behind bars,’ he said.

The lawyer said his son, his oldest child, who has an engineering degree, was living in the national capital for the past four years to prepare for the civil services examinations.

Meanwhile, Delhi police has detained Akshay Thakur, another accused in the case. He was on run since the the incident. Thakur was detained from Aurangabad district of Bihar.

Raids are being carried out to trace the remaining accused, identified as Raju. Delhi police also recovered crucial evidence from the bus including phones, shoes and clothes.

A woman lawyer on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that hanging the accused was the only way to end rapes.


Delhi police has invoked more stringent charges of attempt to murder and destruction of evidence against the six persons in the gangrape of a young paramedical student on Sunday night.

Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said in Parliament on Wednesday day that Delhi Police have added sections 307 (attempt to murder) and 201 (destruction of evidence) against the accused.

Police had earlier charged them under sections 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of the IPC. Four persons have been arrested in the case so far while one was detained from Bihar.


Only one person has been convicted for rape in the Indian capital this year, parliament was informed on Wednesday. Minister of State for Home M Ramachandran told the Rajya Sabha that 635 rapes were reported this year and 754 were arrested. A total of 404 were challaned, he said. Investigation was pending in 348 cases while two suspects were discharged.
Next Story
Share it