Millennium Post

Victim gone, but not the rage

Victim gone, but not the rage
Students and women on Monday continued their protests in the Indian capital against violence on women, a day after the city’s gang-rape victim was cremated under heavy security.

A large number of people, but mainly the young, gathered near the Jantar Mantar observatory in the heart of Delhi, pressing the government to enact strict legislation against rape and other crimes.

At least two people are on hunger strike at the spot.

‘I’m on hunger strike for the past three days. I will continue my fast until fast-track courts come up to hear cases of sexual harassment,’ said Babusingh Ram, one of them.

The All India Students Association (AISA), affiliated to the Communist Party of India-Marxist Leninist, said at least 1,000 members will stage a demonstration in Connaught Place on Monday. Delhi Police have announced a ban on motor traffic in and around Connaught Place from 7 pm. Monday on the occasion of New Year’s Eve. Three Delhi Metro Stations - Rajiv Chowk, Barakhamba Road and Patel Chowk - will close at 7.30 pm on Monday. Commuters would not be allowed to enter or leave the three stations from that time due to security restrictions related to New Year celebrations, a Metro official said.

The 23-year-old woman who was gangraped on 16 December in a moving bus here was cremated Sunday morning after her body was flown in from Singapore.

On Sunday, Delhi Police chief Neeraj Kumar, who has come under wide criticism both for the gang-rape and the later police crackdown on street protests, called on Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.

He was accompanied by Satyendra Garg, who heads the Delhi Traffic Police. Neeraj Kumar later met Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde. The meeting followed Dikshit’s rare public criticism of the police action against the gang-rape protesters. Delhi Police reports to the central home ministry. Its chief normally doesn’t call on CM.

A few young men and women, who were protesting outside the Parliament Street police station, were detained for violating prohibitory orders. One of the detainees, Sakshi, 24, alleged that she was manhandled by the police, and made to sweep and clean the floor. She added that she was hit by a policeman.

‘While protests were underway at Jantar Mantar, a small group of about 20 protesters, comprising mostly girls, reached the venue in the afternoon and allegedly incited the others present to join them for a march towards Rashtrapati Bhavan. The police personnel cautioned them, stating that prohibitory orders were in place and no protests were allowed in and around India Gate,’ said Taj Hasan, Joint Commissioner, Central. The group then turned towards the Parliament Street police station outside which it raised slogans, following which the protesters were detained.


Delhi Police on Monday registered a case against an English daily for publishing material which could lead to the identification of the 23-year-old gangrape victim who died two days ago. The case was registered at Vasant Vihar police station under section 228-A (punishment for printing or publishing the name or any matter which may make known the identity of any person against whom rape is committed) of Indian Penal Code. Sources said the case has been registered against the Editor, Publisher, Printer, two correspondents and concerned photographers. The offence carries a punishment of upto two years imprisonment besides a fine. The girl was gangraped and brutally assaulted allegedly by six persons in a moving bus in south Delhi on December 16. She died in a Singapore hospital.
Next Story
Share it