Under-trial hangs self in Rohini Jail
An inmate of the Rohini Jail in Outer Delhi allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself from a ceiling fan on Thursday night. The incident came to light at around 8.30 pm when the inmate, identified as Kuldeep Yadav (25), who is an under-trial was found hanging from the ceiling, sources said.
This is not the first time that an under trial committed suicide inside the jail premises. On July 14, Ravinder (27) committed suicide. He hanged himself with a towel in jail number 1, ward 8. On August 10, Sandeep committed suicide, left a note saying he was falsely implicated in a murder case. He claimed he was tortured by the jail authorities.
This comes just two days after two under-trials in Tihar prison were killed and five others were injured over a turf war within the <g data-gr-id="34">high security</g> walls of Asia’s largest jail. The turf war which took place on Wednesday afternoon also witnessed seven jail officials including one superintendent getting severely injured in the gang war between the rival groups.
The two deceased were Anil and Ishwar. According to sources, this was not the first time that there was a clash between the two who headed two different groups.
The clash broke out at around 2 pm when the jail officials were taking Ishwar and his two associates, Shadab and Vijay back from the dispensary which is situated within the jail premises after a regular check-up the jail official said.
Attacks in Tihar
- In April, Ravinder (28), was stabbed and killed with improvised spoons by five members of a rival gang. The accused also suffered injuries in the scuffle. The convict lived in jail no 1.
- Also in April, one inmate died, several injured over <g data-gr-id="53">clash</g> of gangs in jail no 1.
- In May, 35-year-old <g data-gr-id="57">Ajay,</g> stabbed to death allegedly in a gang war by three fellow inmates in jail number 4.
- Two inmates found dead in jail number 8-9. Bodies found under mysterious circumstances. Suspected to have died due to <g data-gr-id="62">drug</g> overdose.
- An inmate attacked by five inmates allegedly over gang war in jail no 4.
- In June, Prithvi(32), an inmate, stabbed multiple times by Manoj, a gang-rape accused in jail number 8.