Millennium Post

UN confirms 100s slaughtered in South Sudan atrocities

Rebels in South Sudan slaughtered at least 353 civilians in April last year, including people sheltering in a mosque, hospital and a United Nations base, UN rights investigators said on Friday.

The report is the first detailed account of two incidents that have highlighted a pattern of gross abuses and atrocities committed during the year-old civil war in the world’s youngest nation.

The UN also noted that nearly nine months after the events, “no perpetrator has been held accountable” for the killings.

In the April 15 attack on the northern oil-town of Bentiu, fighters backing South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar murdered at least 287 civilians sheltering in a mosque, many of them traders and their families from neighbouring Sudan’s Darfur region.

Later that day, 19 civilians were killed in the town’s hospital, UN investigators said.

Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top