Millennium Post

Two separate fire incidents in state, no casualties reported

Two separate incidents of fire were reported from Ultadanga in the city and Potashpur in East Midnapore on late Tuesday night and on Wednesday morning, respectively.

Three persons, including a child, were injured when an explosion took place at an illegal firecracker factory at Potashpur area of Kanthi. The injured were taken to Egra Hospital, and later shifted to Kanthi sub-divisional hospital. Police have started an investigation into the incident.

Police said that the factory suddenly caught fire Wednesday morning, following which a series of explosions took place inside the factory, leaving the workers injured. Local people heard the loud sounds and rushed to the spot rescued the victims, who were taken to the hospital. Locals partially extinguished the fire, before the fire tenders reached the spot. Police said there were no fire fighting measures in the illegal factory.

In the second fire incident, police said that a saw mill on the East Canal road in Ultadanga caught fire around 1.30 am.

Some local people spotted smoke billowing out of the factory and informed the Fire department. Around 12 fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flame. The situation was brought under control after nearly three hours.

According to the preliminary investigation, police suspect that an electrical short circuit might have caused the fire. There were many inflammable materials stored inside the mill, which caused the fire soon spread inside.

The fire had also spread to a nearby paper mill. According to fire department officials, both the mills were completely gutted in the fire. The fire department confirmed that no one was injured in the incident.

Local people initially tried to extinguish the flames themselves, but were no match for the intensity of the fire.

In the end, they ensured that no one was trapped inside the factory.

Police and fire department found there were no adequate fire fighting measures installed in the mills. Police have started a case in this regard.

A forensic team on Wednesday visited the spot and collected samples from there.  
Next Story
Share it