Millennium Post

Two minors rescued from Serampore, kidnappers held

The city police have arrested three persons from Serampore in Hooghly on charges of kidnapping two minors, whom cops rescued late Sunday night.

Five-year-old Ubeid Ali and six-year-old Syed Ruksar, who were abducted on Friday from their residences at Karaya in East Kolkata, were found by the police near Konnagar station.

Police said that both the children are residents of 2E, Radha Gobinda Lane at Karaya. Ruksar is the daughter of a businessman Syed Abu Hasim and Ubeid is son of Syed Raunak Begum.

Preliminary investigation revealed that their cousin brother Meherajuddin had kidnapped the children on Friday evening. He went to their houses and took the children out to buy them some candy.

Parents of the victims were worried after the children did not return even after a couple of hours and initiated a search for them, which bore no fruit. The parents contacted their relatives, but they too had no information. They went to the police station and lodged a missing complaint.

On Saturday morning, the parents received a ransom call from a woman, who asked them to give Rs 6 lakh for the return of the two kids.

They received two more calls on Saturday, after which the phone was found to be switched off.

The parents reported to the police, who began tracing the calls. Investigating officers soon identified the location of the woman. A raid was conducted at the woman’s house, who was soon arrested and identified as Sabir Khatun alias Khusbu.

Based on information from Khusbu, police rescued the children from Konnagar Station, situated a few kilometres away from Serampore.

They also caught one Sahid Akhtar Khan at the station, when he was transporting the children to another place. Meherajuddin was later arrested from Serampore.

A police officer said that Meerajuddin had confined the children at Khusbu’s house in Serampore and returned to the city to free himself of suspicion. He instructed Khusbu to make the ransom calls and Sahid to look after the children.

All three were remanded in the custody of the police till November 3, after being produced before a city court on Monday.
Next Story
Share it