Two fire incidents leave one injured

After the Sector V fire, the city witnessed two more incidents on the very same day when one person was injured in two separate fire break outs on Wednesday.

A fire broke out in a paint manufacturing unit at Patipukur on Wednesday afternoon. 

Four fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the flames. 

Firefighters took around four hours to extinguish the fire.

According to an officer of the state fire and emergency services department, a spark from a machine seems to have led to the fire and it spread fast as the factory was packed with inflammable goods including chemicals to prepare paint.

Local residents had initiated the work to douse the flames after finding smoke billowing out of the factory. Fire fighters later reached the spot and joined the local people.

The workers in the factory had managed to come out soon after finding the flames spreading fast. A major portion of the factory was gutted in the fire.

Another major incident of fire took place in a go-down of ceiling fans at Behala on Wednesday afternoon. 

The fire fighters are yet to ascertain the exact cause of the fire but suspect that an electric short circuit inside a small office room in the go-down led to the incident. 

A local resident fell ill while fighting to douse the flames.

Within a few minutes, fire spread to the entire go-down. Six fire tenders were pressed into service and fire fighters took more than three hours to extinguish the flames. 

Residents of the area were panicked as the dark smoke engulfed the entire area and subsequent sound of explosion inside the go-down. Many were found running aimlessly.

Suman Dastidar, a local resident, said: “Residents of some of the shanties situated adjacent to the factory brought all valuables out as the flames were threatening to spread.”  

The roads adjacent to the spot were cordoned off and it led to traffic congestion in the area.
M Post Bureau

M Post Bureau

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it