Millennium Post

Two cops suspended for alleged custodial death, SHO under radar

Two Delhi police officials posted at Khyala police station have been suspended for the alleged death in custody of a 19-year-old boy on Sunday. Action might also be taken against the station head officer of the police station, sources said. The suspended cops have been identified as sub-inspector Anoop Singh and constable Naveen. A case under section 308 of the Indian Penal Code (attempt to commit culpable homicide) has been registered against them and a judicial inquiry is underway .

The incident was reported from west Delhi on Sunday morning. Amit, the deceased, had been in police custody since Wednesday night. A PCR call had been received by the police on Wednesday at 7.30 pm from Amit's mother, complaining that their son was creating violence at home after consuming alcohol.

A team of officials went to Amit’s residence, apprehended him and brought  him to the police station. After a few hours, officials took him to Guru Gobind Singh Hospital to conduct a medical examination. A source said, ‘In the report the doctors have mentioned an injury on his head.’ Later, Amit was taken into police custody. At 11 pm, Tajpal, Amit’s father received a call from sub-inspector Anoop Singh (suspended cop) asking him to come to the police station with his wife, to sign a few documents. ‘When we went to the police station, we were shocked to see a bandage on Amit’s head. They informed us that he would be kept in police custody for a couple of days,’ Tajpal said.
On Thursday morning, constable Naveen informed us that Amit has been admitted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay hospital as he had fallen sick during the night owing to high consumption of alcohol. When we visited the hospital, we were informed that Amit had undergone a head operation and was on ventilator support. And on Sunday morning he succumbed to his injuries.’

V Ranganathan, additional commissioner of police (west) confirmed the suspension of  the two cops.  He added, however, that the cops have been suspended for allegedly not informing the family of the deceased. But when Millennium Post contacted Amit’s family, they said,'we were constantly in touch with the police.'
Next Story
Share it