Millennium Post

Two arrested for murder of tea garden manager

Police have arrested two persons for their alleged involvement in the murder of a tea garden manager in Jalpaiguri, whose body was found in the staff quarters on Sunday night.

After starting an investigation into the incident, police have arrested one Kaleswar Roy, a guard of the tea garden. During the interrogation, police found discrepancies in his statement. Later, the investigating officers came to know about the involvement of a worker of the tea garden Sobe Tappo as well. They subsequently also arrested Tappo.

Police have come to know that some other persons involved in the murder are at large since the night of the incident. They are conducting raids to nab the remaining culprits. The two accused, who were arrested on Tuesday, are reportedly giving important leads to the investigating officers.

The officers said that there were 16 injury marks on the body of the deceased, which proves that the accused had hacked him with sharp weapons. While interrogating the guard, police also came to know that some unidentified miscreants had been waiting for the manager at the quarters and when he came out of his house around midnight they attacked him.

55-year-old Ganesh Thakur, the manager at Lambawala tea garden at Belakoba area, was found dead at the staff quarter on Sunday night. Local residents spotted the dead body lying in a pool of blood and informed the matter to the police. The victim, who was originally from Bihar, had been working at the tea garden for quite a long time. The police are yet to ascertain the exact reason behind the murder. As per preliminary investigation, an old rivalry could have led to the murder of Thakur.

A senior police officer in the district confirmed that the victim was murdered inside the staff quarters on Sunday night. Many local residents were being interrogated in this connection. The local people said that the victim was “a good human being and he had no quarrels with anybody”.

Some of the workers at the tea garden had found the victim lying on the floor of the staff quarters. They rushed the body to the hospital where he was declared brought dead. The body has been sent for postmortem examination.

Next Story
Share it