Top
Millennium Post

‘Transplant offer was irresponsible’

‘Transplant offer was irresponsible’
Criticising a city hospital for offering free intestinal transplant to the Delhi gangrape victim, a leading cardiologist, who had monitored her treatment, on Friday said the statement was ‘irresponsible’ as the woman had to be stabilised first.

‘There were a lot of statements at that time related to her intestinal transplant... they were irresponsible statements,’ Naresh Trehan, chairman of Medanta Hospital, told reporters here.

‘At that time the issue was not intestinal transplant... she had to be stabilised first,’ he added.

A section of gangrenous intestine of the 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist was removed at the Safdarjung Hospital where she was admitted on 16 December following a brutal gangrape and torture in a moving bus.

The privately-run Sir Ganga Ram Hospital in central Delhi had offered the intestine transplant on 21 December and was willing to bear the cost of all subsequent treatment as well.

The hospital then said that intestinal transplant was the only course of treatment that would have offered the victim a chance of functional intestines and survival.

Trehan, though, said that the journey from the removal of intestines to their transplant is a long one. ‘It takes years to stabilise a patient whose intestines have been removed. We have to constantly check for infections and only then can we think about a transplant,’ said Trehan.

‘She was not needing a transplant at that time and that’s why we were not making any claims,’ he added.

The young woman was shifted to Singapore’s’ Mount Elizabeth Hospital on 26 December and died on 29 December after a 13-day fight for life.


TREHAN RUBBISHES CLAIMS THAT VICTIM DIED IN DELHI

The 23-year-old woman who was brutally gangraped in Delhi last month was alive when flown to Singapore, said Naresh Trehan, chairman of Medanta Hospital which provided the air ambulance for the woman.

‘She was alive when taken to Singapore,’ Trehan, one of the several doctors who had closely monitored the young woman while she was admitted to Delhi’s Safdarjung Hospital, told reporters here Friday.

He was reacting to reports claiming that the woman was already dead before being air-lifted to the Singapore Hospital.

Trehan said he was informed that the young woman’s ‘pupils were reacting’ before she was shifted to Singapore’s’ Mount Elizabeth Hospital on 26 December. The girl died on 29 December after a 13-day fight for life. Though the woman had suffered a cardiac arrest, major damage was prevented as it happened in the presence of doctors, Trehan added.

The government’s decision to shift the woman to Singapore had drawn much flak. While some were of the view that the already frail condition of the victim was worsened by the journey, others said the woman was shifted unnecessarily to douse the protests in the capital. The government maintained that the step was taken on medical grounds.
MPost

MPost

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Next Story
Share it