Millennium Post

Three separate incidents of fire in city, none killed

The city on Monday witnessed three separate incidents of fire, in which some people were injured. No casualties were reported in any of the incidents though. A fire broke out inside a car showroom situated on the first floor of Jindal Tower at Park Circus on Monday morning. Local people spotted the smoke billowing out of the building. 

A car which was inside the showroom had caught fire, which later spread to some other cars placed nearby. The locals immediately informed the fire department.  The incident had triggered panic among the showroom’s staff members and the employees of other offices in the building.

After seeing smoke emanating from the showroom, many people started running in panic. Some staff members, who were inside the showroom, were almost suffocated to death. The locals lent their hand in extinguishing the fire before the fire tenders were pressed into action. 

Seven fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flames. The fire was extinguished after almost two hours. According to preliminary investigation, police and fire department officials suspect that an electrical short circuit might have caused the fire. The fire could have spread further and caused heavy damage if the locals had not been involved in extinguishing fire. 

The fire department and police are yet to ascertain the extent of the damage. Local people were also 
dissatisfied because the fire tenders reached the location late. Fire and Emergency Services Minister Sovan Chatterjee rushed to the spot and took stock the situation. His department was looking into how the incident had occurred. The cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained.

Another incident of fire took place at a restaurant at Golpark on Monday morning. After being informed, four fire tenders swung into action. Three persons, including the owner of the restaurant, were injured in the incident.  The injured were taken to the hospital and the condition of one of the victims is reported to be serious.

It was learnt that the owner of the restaurant and the employees were inside when the fire broke out.  Fire department officials are yet to ascertain the exact cause of the incident. Police and fire department officials are inquiring if there was some negligence on the part of the restaurant that had caused the fire.

The third incident took place at the Kolkata Police hospital. The local people spotted smoke billowing out of the godown of the hospital Monday morning.  After getting the alert, four fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flames and they brought the situation under control within few hours. 

The fire department officials are yet to ascertain the cause of the fire. No one was injured in the incident.

Next Story
Share it