Tension grips RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, four doctors injured

Tension grips RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, four doctors injured
Tension gripped RG Kar Medical College and Hospital on Saturday night following a scuffle that broke out between junior doctors and the relatives of a patient, who died in the hospital after sustaining head injury. 

Four junior doctors at the emergency ward of the hospital were injured and admitted to the hospital when an irate mob led an attack on them following the death of the patient. The relative of the victim, however, alleged that negligence of some of the doctors had led to the death of their patient. Both the junior doctors and the family members of the victim lodged complaints against each other at Tala police station on the basis of which police have arrested a person who was believed to have been involved in the attack. 

After being roughed up by the mob, all junior doctors at the hospital stopped working on Sunday which affected the health services in the hospital. Sunday being a holiday for many senior doctors, the health services at the emergency ward largely depends on the junior doctors. They refused to work and took part in a sit-in demonstration at the administrative building of the hospital. Their only demand was to arrest the culprits who had beaten up four junior doctors at the emergency ward on Saturday night. Dr Abhishek Jha, who was on duty at the emergency ward, had suffered a trauma and now he is undergoing treatment at the hospital. 

The victim’s family members on Sunday morning put up road block at Tala bridge demanding action against those doctors whose negligence, they claim, might have led to death of the patient. The traffic movement was affected in the area due to the road block. Police had to intervene to lift the road block. 

Police said the victim, Dipak Singh (28), a resident of Cossipore area also suffered head injury when the car in which he was travelling with three others overturned in Lake Town. Police during interrogation came to know they were taking part in car racing along the VIP road at midnight when the vehicle suddenly lost its control and overturned injuring all four passengers. The injured were brought to RG Kar Hospital. 

Family members of the Dipak alleged that he was declared fit by some doctors at the emergency ward and released from the hospital. After reaching home the patient complained of headache and he was again brought to the hospital where he was left unattended for a long time, alleged victim’s relatives. 

They claimed that no CT scan was performed on the patient who later died in the hospital. Among the other three one was released from the hospital and the other two were shifted to separate hospitals in the city. 


Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it