REMEDIES AT WORK
In case of emergency, taking the right steps can help us treat critical medical situations with utmost ease
I have got a bee sting. How should I treat it?
Unless you're allergic to bees or experiencing signs of a severe allergic reaction, you can treat most bee stings at home.
If a honeybee stings you, remove the stinger immediately as this helps curb the amount of toxins released into your skin. Wash the sting site with soap and water. Icing the sting site is the most effective way to reduce venom absorption. It also can help reduce swelling.
To treat bee stings with honey, apply a small amount to the affected area. Cover with a loose bandage and leave on for up to an hour.
Apply a thick layer of paste of baking soda and water paste to the affected area. Cover the paste with a bandage. Leave on for at least 15 minutes and re-apply as needed.
Alkaline toothpaste neutralizes acidic honeybee venom. Simply dab a bit on the affected area.
Aloevera is known for soothing the skin and relieving pain.
Lavender essential oil has anti-inflammatory abilities and can help relieve swelling. Dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil, such a coconut or olive oil. Dab a few drops of the mixture onto the sting site.
Cut a potato in half and apply it to the sting site. It should extract the sting
Application of calamine lotion will also help in dealing with the sting.
Although most people do not experience severe reactions to bee stings, it's a good idea to keep an eye on anyone who has been stung in case they develop more serious symptoms. If you notice any signs of an allergic reaction, or if you or someone you know has been stung multiple times – particularly if he or she is a child – seek medical attention immediately.
How should I make my dog stop eating my cat's food?
Dogs are not picky eaters and eat whatever comes in their way. Although a light snack of the cat's food will not harm them but it becomes a habit, the cat will not be getting its full diet. Following are some tips that can make sure your dog does not eat cat's food.
Set a specific time to feed your cat and remove the leftover food after its done eating. This ensures that there is not any leftover food that the dog can snack upon and also teaches the cat that food will not be available whole day and make he will eat it all when it is available.
Keep the cat food at an elevated level. Cats are natural climbers whereas dogs are not so this ensures the cat that its food is safe and out of reach of the dog.
(Views expressed and information provided are personal. Send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org)