Millennium Post

ATK take down Mumbai City FC 1-0 to claim first victory

Mumbai: ATK defeated Mumbai City 1-0 to claim their first win of the season in Indian Super League in the match played at the Mumbai Football Arena on Sunday. Robin Singh netted the only goal of the game in the second half to seal three points for the visitors.

In their 50th Indian Super League (ISL) fixture, Alexandre Guimaraes put up a side which lined in the regular 4-2-3-1 shape with just one change from the side which sealed full points against Chennaiyin FC as India U-23 defender Davinder Singh was replaced by local lad Raju Gaikwad. On the other hand, Teddy Sheringham-coached ATK opted for as many as five changes as Jordi Montel, Keegan Pereira, Bipin Singh, Hitesh Sharma and Njazi Kuqi were replaced by Anwar Ali, Ashutosh Mehta, Ryan Taylor, Robin Singh and Robbie Keane respectively.
The game got off to an entertaining start as the crowd witnessed end-to-end football with Thomas Thorpe coming close to netting the opening goal in the 17th minute. Newly recruited Ryan Taylor delivered a free-kick from the edge of the box which saw Tom Thorpe jump high and get his head to it. The header tested Amrinder Singh between the sticks who stretched his body to the left in order to prevent the ball from hitting the net. Just four minutes later, Rupert Nongrum had an open chance to register the opener after he succeeded in gliding past the Mumbai City defenders. However, custodian Amrinder came off his line to halt the Meghalaya-born midfielder from finding the back of the net. Following this, the hosts tightened their play and combined well in their midfield. In the 34th minute, Sehnaj Singh's cross from the edge of the box saw Gerson Vieira head the delivery towards the net. The Brazilian's header flew over the bar, in what was the hosts' first real chance to get things going.
With Kolkata leading ball possession, the two sides walked off at the halftime whistle with the deadlock intact.
Next Story
Share it