Top
Millennium Post

SP Govt withdraws case against HuJI operative

The SP government has decided to withdraw the case of terrorist act against Tariq Quasmi in the Gorakhpur serial blast incident on 22 May, 2007, in which six people were injured. Tariq, an alleged HuJI operative, was involved in both the Gorakhpur blast and serial blasts in the Faizabad and Lucknow civil courts. State principal secretary (Home) R M Srivastava said the decision to withdraw case in Gorakhpur blast was taken by the government. The matter related to Faizabad and Lucknow civil courts blasts, however, is still pending against Tariq, a native of Azamgarh.

The decision came after Shahi Imam Maulana Ahmad Bukhari and other clerics lambasted the Akhilesh Yadav government for backtracking on their promises and not doing anything for the welfare of Muslim youths.

Incidentally, the UP CM is away to United States when the decision was confirmed on Wednesday. Official sources said the instructions had been sent to the district magistrate of Gorakhpur to file an application in court for withdrawal of the case in which Tariq faces charges under the Explosives Act, Section 7- Criminal Law Amendment Act, and attempt to murder. This would be the first terror case which the SP government has decided to withdraw after promising in its poll manifesto of 2012 to release all innocent Muslim youths implicated in terrorist acts. The case against Quasmi is pending and charges against him are yet to be framed.
Next Story
Share it