Millennium Post

South City Mall reopens a day after blaze, minor repairs ongoing

South City Mall was reopened on Monday morning, a day after a fire broke out at the mall forcing authorities to evacuate the complex and shut it for the whole of Sunday.

The blaze was seen on the top floor at the food court of the South Kolkata-based shopping mall, which has been a crowd-puller over the years.

The authorities informed that the mall is now safe and secure. Hundreds of people thronged the mall throughout Monday.

However, some repairing work is currently underway at the top floor food court. As a result, the floor was kept closed for the visitors.

The state Fire and Emergency services, meanwhile, did not find any negligence on the part of the mall authorities.

“We doused the flame successfully at the mall. We also broke some of the walls and glass panes to clear the smoke. The mall is safe now. There is no reason to keep it closed anymore,” said Tarun Kumar Sinha, Acting Director (Operation) and Divisional Fire Officer, South Kolkata Division.

On Sunday, around 9.15 am, people at the nearby crossroads saw flames and black smoke emanating from the top floor of the South City Mall.

Security guards at the mall also reported seeing black smoke covering the entire food court.

Initially, 15 fire tenders were rushed to the spot, but fire brigade officers later decided to call up nine more fire tenders in two phases to douse the flames.

As soon as the fire alarm began ringing at the top floor, mall authorities rushed to the Cinema-Multiplex to evacuate it. The morning show had just begun, when visitors at the cinema hall were told to vacate it.

They were, however, not told about the fire to avoid a situation of panic. People from South City apartment, adjacent to the mall, also began evacuation.

“The mall is now open for all visitors. But we haven’t opened the food court. Some works are going on there,” said an official of the South City Mall management.
Next Story
Share it