Home > Kolkata > Smoke in Metro compartment causes panic

Smoke in Metro compartment causes panic

 MPost |  2016-09-26 02:21:16.0  |  Kolkata

Tension ran high among the passengers travelling in an AC metro rake after they spotted smoke coming out of a compartment when the train was entering Mahatma Gandhi Road station on Sunday morning.

At around 10.30 am when Kavi Subhas bound train was entering MG Road, the passengers spotted an electrical spark which flashed between two compartments and this resulted in panic among the passengers as smoke was coming out of the compartment.

The driver got down from the train after it had reached the station and tried to spot the electric sparks. The train was stranded at the platform for nearly 15 minutes.

Some people became panicked and started running to and fro. Many of the passengers got down at the MG Road station and opted for buses to reach their destinations. The passengers were evacuated from the train and the motor men and other technical staff members of the Metro railways conducted an examination to find the place where there was electrical sparks.

After being stranded for nearly 15 minutes, the train started for Kavi Subhas as no serious issue was detected during the examinations. Though, it was a Sunday, the Metro services started early as it was announced by the Metro railway authorities to handle the extra rush of passengers.

People tried to fully utilise the day for shopping as it is the last Sunday before Mahalaya.

According to a senior official, the Metro engineers were looking into if the AC rake had developed any technical snag resulting in the electrical spark in the train. Though the incident had no major effect on the Metro services, the people were frightened. There were a considerable number of passengers in the Metros on Sunday as people started their Puja shopping from the morning.

Share it
Top