Shanties gutted; Madhyamik examinee, uncle killed in major fire
Two persons including a Madhyamik examinee were killed and around 20 shanties were gutted in a major fire that broke out Subhash railway colony near fish market in Patipukur in the wee hours of Saturday.
Many others were injured in the incident, some of whom are undergoing treatment at the hospital. Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) has announced all type of assistance to the residents of the railway colonies who have become homeless after the incident.
The local Trinamool Congress councillor Dr Santanu Sen reached the spot and inspected the rescue operation. Injured were taken to the hospital for treatment.
Priya Adhikari (16), the Madhyamik examinee and her uncle Nimai Adhikari (32) were trapped inside their house after the devastating blaze had engulfed the entire area.
Their family members tried to take them out but failed due to intensity of the fire. The area soon covered with thick smoke with people running away to a safer place to save their lives.
The fire took place at Patipukur’s Subhash rail colony near the fish market. Priya died and her uncle died in this mishap.
The fire broke out at a stall in the colony that led to the bursting of gas cylinder thereby causing a devastating fire.
When the fire broke out, Dilip Adhikari managed to come out along with his wife and youngest daughter but failed to rescue his elder daughter.
Dilip’s younger brother Nimai was also gutted in the fire after hefailed to come out of a shanty.
Around 16 fire tenders were pressed into action to douse the flame. The fire officials and the disaster
management team of the Kolkata police started a rescue operation and carried out a search to find
if anyone was trapped inside the shanties.
Some local residents had lent their hand in the rescue operation even before the fire tenders reached the spot.
The people who were still caught inside the rooms were taken out by the locals.
The incident occurred at around 3 am and the situation was brought under control a little after 6 am on Saturday morning.
The local residents told the police that an explosion of gas cylinder had caused the fire. The fire soon engulfed the area.
In another incident a fire broke out at a vest factory on Fakir Chakraborty Lane of Beadon Street at around 6 am on Saturday. Five fire tenders were swung into action to douse the flame.
According to the preliminary investigation fire department suspects that an electrical short circuit had caused the fire. No casualty was reported in the incident. Police are yet to ascertain the exact cause of the fire in both the incidents.
- 22 Aug 2019 6:17 PM GMT
- 1 May 2017 6:52 PM GMT
- 8 Oct 2019 4:43 PM GMT
- 31 Aug 2019 1:38 PM GMT
- 25 Oct 2017 3:32 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 6:36 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 6:35 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 6:34 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 6:34 PM GMT
- 18 Oct 2019 6:33 PM GMT