Top
Millennium Post

Samsung Note 2 catches fire mid-air during landing at Chennai airport

Officials said it wasn’t clear whether the passenger had switched it off. The cabin crew rushed with fire extinguishers and put off the smoke.

A spokesperson for the regulator Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) said no damage was caused to the plane or passengers.

The move came two weeks after the watchdog banned the use of Samsung Galaxy Note7 onboard following a series battery explosions in various countries. Comments from Samsung are awaited.

“IndiGo confirms that a few passengers travelling on 6E-054 flight from Singapore to Chennai noticed the smoke smell in the cabin this morning (September 23, 2016) and immediately alerted the cabin crew on board.

“The crew quickly identified minor smoke coming from the hat-rack of seat 23 C and simultaneously informed the Pilot-in-Command who further alerted the ATC of the situation on board,” the airline said.

“Taking the precautionary measure, the cabin crew on priority relocated all passengers on other seats, and further observed smoke being emitted from a Samsung note 2 which was placed in the baggage (of a passenger) in the overhead bin. The crew discharged the fire extinguisher which is as per the Standard Operating Procedures prescribed by the aircraft manufacturer, and quickly transferred the Samsung note 2 into a container filled with water in lavatory, “ the statement said.
Next Story
Share it