S Korea rules out flood aid to North
South Korea on Friday ruled out giving aid to flood-hit North Korea, saying leader Kim Jong-Un would claim credit for any assistance, following what Pyongyang calls the “worst disaster” since World War II.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) appealed for $15.5 million in emergency funding to help North Koreans on Wednesday.
It warned of a “secondary disaster” in the impoverished country unless urgent assistance is provided. At least 138 people are known to have died and nearly 400 are missing, after torrential rain triggered major floods, devastating villages in the country’s northeast, the UN said last week.
According to the UN, 140,000 people need assistance. The IFRC said 70,000 people have been rendered remain homeless as thousands of houses were damaged.
The UNICEF had said on Tuesday that disease and malnutrition in North were rising, with health clinics reporting that twice as many children were seeking help compared to before the disaster.