Top
Millennium Post

Prosecution seeks death for Batla House accused

A Saket court on Monday reserved its verdict for Tuesday on the quantum of sentence to convicted Indian Mujahideen (IM) operative Shahzad Ahmad, who was held guilty by the court for the death of Delhi police inspector Mohan Chand Sharma and injuring two other police officers in the Batla House encounter.

During the arguments in the court over the quantum of sentence, the prosecution sought death for Ahmad, while the defence counsel contended that the it does not fall under the rarest of rare case category.

Prosecution, seeking death for the accused, said there are no mitigating of circumstances in this case and Shahzad is involved in several heinous crimes. The prosecution said that the case has shocked the collective conscience of society.

Defence counsel, on the other hand, sought leniency, saying the case does not fall under the rarest of rare category. The counsel said that the crime was committed on the spur of the moment and wasn’t premeditated.

Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Rajender Kumar Shastri, however, reserved his verdict for Tuesday.
Last week, after around five years of the encounter, a Saket court pronounced the lone caught alleged Indian Mujahideen operative Shahzad Ahmad guilty of murder of the slain inspector. He had been found guilty of murder, attempt to murder, obstructing and assaulting public servants and grievously injuring the police officers to deter them from performing their duty.

Next Story
Share it