Home > Business > PMUY to be launched in Bengal by August 15: Dharmendra Pradhan

PMUY to be launched in Bengal by August 15: Dharmendra Pradhan

 PTI |  2016-07-31 23:08:17.0  |  Kolkata

“For Assam and Meghalaya, Aadhar cards will not be required for getting enrolled in the PMUY,” he said at a meeting of district nodal officers (DNOs) of the eastern states here.

Pradhan pointed out that 82 per cent of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) connections have been linked with the Aadhar card. “We are making efforts to bring the remaining 18 per cent in its fold,” he said at the meet, which was  also attended by IndianOil Chairman B Ashok and Joint Secretary (Marketing) with the Petroleum & Natural Gas Ashutosh Jindal.

Pradhan claimed that since the launch of the PMUY project, 23 lakh below poverty level (BPL) 
households have got “free connections” in the states where it had been rolled out since May 1. He said that the project would be launched in West Bengal before August 15.

In the budget for 2016-17, the Government had allocated Rs 8,000 crore to provide LPG connections to 5 crore below poverty level women in three years. The selection of the below poverty level women would be done from the Socio-Economic Caste Census-2011.

Several district nodal officers complained that many women, despite being in the below poverty level category, did not figure in the SECC list. Pradhan assured those not in the SECC list too would get connections under the scheme for which a separate mechanism is being planned.

Pradhan said that the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana’s implementation and its district-wise success would be linked with the career progression of oil sector executives involved. The government had been able to save Rs 21,000 crore by weeding away 3.5 crore ghost connections, he said. 

Share it
Top