Online bidding for station redevelopment projects
Railways will opt for web-based bidding system for <g data-gr-id="31">involvement</g> of private players in upgrading of stations across the country.
"The existing stations were constructed almost a century ago and are congested now. Population have increased since then and we have to expand stations to provide better amenities," Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said here on Thursday.
Participating in a TV channel programme, Prabhu said the entire process involving private participation in <g data-gr-id="28">station</g> redevelopment scheme will be transparent.
"We will soon come out with RFQ (request for quotation) for station development. We have identified six/seven stations for it and work will be taken up for two stations at first. It will be a web-based tendering system," he said.
Referring to Prime Minister Narendra Modi's statement that stations should provide airport like facilities, Prabhu said railway stations have more footfalls than <g data-gr-id="32">airport</g>.
"Whatever revenue we will earn through redevelopment it will be ploughed back for passenger amenities," he said.
Asked why new trains were not announced in the Rail Budget this time, Prabhu maintained that he is not averse to launching new train but <g data-gr-id="33">addition</g> of more trains will choke the routes further.
<g data-gr-id="34">New</g> train should run but no new announcement, he said and added, "Our main trunk routes between Delhi and Mumbai and between Delhi and Kolkata are heavily congested. The Delhi-Kolkata route passes through Bihar and UP."
Prabhu also mentioned the <g data-gr-id="26">over-congestion</g> in the Allahabad-Mughal Sarai section in Delhi-Kolkata route.
The route is already occupied by two times more than its capacity and even a small asset failure has <g data-gr-id="36">huge</g> effect on the route delaying several trains for hours, the minister said.