The police on Monday arrested one more person from Burabazar in connection with the Polba incident. On the night of June 24, a girl was crushed under the wheels of a mini-truck when the helper of the moving vehicle tried to pull her inside.
The girl was returning with four other girls after working in a candy manufacturing factory along Delhi Road in Hooghly. Two friends of the victim, who tried to free the victim, were also injured in the incident.
Police said the accused Nanda Kishore Rajak had helped both the driver and the helper to flee after the incident. He had given the duo a lift in his own car. Police came to know about Rajak after interrogating the driver of the mini-truck Ranjit Boitha, who was arrested on Saturday night from Belgachia in Howrah.
A senior police officer said that Rajak was the person with whom the helper, who is the prime accused, had been keeping touch over phone for the past two days. But he had stopped contacting him since Sunday night. Hence, the police expect that he knows where the helper has taken shelter.
Sources said that Rajak told the police the possible places where the helper could have taken shelter.
The investigating officers conducted raids at some of those places, but could not find the helper there. It is learnt that Rajak told the police about the possibility of the prime accused fleeing to a neighbouring state. Though the police have not disclosed the state where the helper may have fled to, a team has been sent to the state to search for him. The family members of the victim and local people demanded immediate arrest of the accused.
Police, however, intensified the vigil on Delhi Road to ensure that such incidents do not take place again. Patrolling has been intensified on the thoroughfare and senior police officers were found monitoring the movement of vehicles after sunset.