North MCD to set-up waste-to-energy plant at Bhalaswa landfill
After failing to douse fire at the Bhalaswa landfill site causing pollution, the North Delhi Municipal Corporation has announced to set-up a waste-to-energy plant. The Corporation, while claiming to chalk out a foolproof plan of garbage disposal with the help of waste-to-energy plants, also announced to start Narela-Bawana waste-to-energy plant, the city’s biggest plant, by the end of October.
“Disposal of solid waste is a big challenge and the only practical solution is to process it usefully on a daily basis. Under the Swachh Bharat Mission, the civic body would start a waste-to-energy plant at Bhalaswa in order to increase its capacity to process solid waste,” said Sanjeev Nayyar, Mayor, North MCD.
According to the officials, the new plant would be able to process/incinerate the waste up to 94 per cent and the remaining 6 per cent waste would also be utilised in making bricks out of it. He further informed that technical assistance from Vienna, Austria, would be sought in developing this waste-to-energy plant. “We have launched the waste-to-wealth scheme for which steps have been taken for commissioning of these waste-to-energy plants to produce over 70 MW, power,” said an official.
Besides this, the Corporation also announced to get its biggest waste-to-energy plant by the end of this month. The plant at the Narela-Bawana landfill site will able to tackle 1,300 metric tonne garbage on a daily basis and produce almost 24 Mega Watt energy. According to officials, the energy plant, spread over 150 acres, would begin functioning by month end.
“The waste dumped here so far has been converted into refused derived fuel. This will be used as fuel when the plant begins functioning. This would help in disposal of waste and ensure no foul smell. With the beginning of this plant, about 80 to 85 per cent solid waste at the plant would be disposed of completely and converted into compost and electricity. To ensure smooth functioning of the project, the Corporation collaborated with a private partner,” the Mayor said.
It was also said that the North Corporation would procure equipment for cleaning the city areas. This would include trucks, tippers, loaders and other allied equipment which would be utilised to lift garbage which is not cleared by the private concessionaire. This is to ensure complete sanitation in its area to strengthen Swachh Bharat Mission. For the purpose, an ambitious plan to the tune of Rs 110 crore has been formulated.
- 17 May 2020 6:47 PM GMT
- 6 May 2020 6:06 PM GMT
- 8 May 2020 8:02 PM GMT
- 22 Aug 2019 6:17 PM GMT
- 25 Oct 2017 3:32 PM GMT
- 29 May 2020 2:38 PM GMT
- 29 May 2020 2:30 PM GMT
- 29 May 2020 1:43 PM GMT
- 29 May 2020 1:38 PM GMT
- 29 May 2020 1:30 PM GMT