Top
Millennium Post

‘No decision on agency to probe marines case’

The external affairs ministry on Wednesday said that ‘no formal decision has been taken’ on which agency will be handed over the probe into the killing of two Indian fishermen allegedly by two Italian marines, amid reports that the National Investigation Agency has got the nod to do so.

‘A decision has not been taken on an investigation agency to conduct the probe… no formal decision has been taken,’ said external affairs spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin to a media query.

His statement comes two days after home ministry sources said the NIA has been asked to probe the killing of two Indian fishermen allegedly by Italian marines Massimilano Latorre and Salvatore Girone off the Kerala coast last year. Home ministry sources had said that NIA would probe the case afresh and file the charge sheet in an NIA special court or any other special court set up by the government in consultation with the Supreme Court.

The external affairs ministry spokesperson also said that the Supreme Court had allowed time till 16 April to respond to setting up a special court to try the case.
Next Story
Share it