No casualities in highrise fire incident
A fire broke out in the basement of a highrise on Syed Amir Ali Avenue near Ballygunge Phari early on Wednesday morning.
Eleven fire tenders were pressed into service and fire fighters took around three-and-a-half hours to extinguish the flames.
An officer of the state fire and emergency services department said that the security personnel of the residential apartment found the smoke billowing out of the basement. The fire department was informed. The local people had initiated the work to douse the flames. Later fire fighters joined them. The fire fighters had brought down a major portion of the wall finding it difficult to enter the basement, which was filled with smoke. The building was evacuated as the flames were threatening to spread to the ground floor. The fire fighters, however, had managed to restrict the flames in the basement. Some cars were damaged but no one was injured in the incident. The reason behind the fire is yet to be ascertained, but the fire fighters suspect that short circuit could have led to the incident. The area was cordoned off and movement of vehicle on Syed Amir Ali Avenue was restricted. A fire fighter said that it had become possible to restrict the flames from spreading to other floors as they now have the apparatus using which they can combat such situation. A probe has been initiated in this connection and steps have been taken to find whether there was necessary fire fighting arrangements in the building.