Millennium Post

No actionable input about Benghazi: US

US secretary of state Hillary Clinton has said there was no actionable intelligence prior to the attack on the US Consulate in Benghazi last week that resulted in the death of its envoy to Libya.

‘With all of our missions overseas, in advance of 11 September, as is done every year, we did an evaluation on threat streams. The office of the director of national intelligence has said we had no actionable intelligence that an attack on our post in Benghazi was planned or imminent,’ Clinton said in a press conference on Tuesday.

In the aftermath of the attack, the US, besides reviewing its security postures, is taking ‘aggressive steps’ to protect its citizens, consulates and embassies around the world, Clinton said, adding that Washington was working with different countries to acquaint them with US security needs. She further said Washington was working closely with the Libyan Government to bring the perpetrators of 11 September attack to justice.

‘The FBI has joined the investigation inside Libya, and we will not rest until the people who orchestrated this attack are found and punished,’ she said. The security at the Benghazi Consulate included a unit of host government security forces, as well as a local guard force of the kind that the US relies on in many places around the world.
Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top