Millennium Post

NGO worker murder: Forensic team visits spot

A forensic team on Thursday visited the office of the NGO at Burtala where the body of its woman caretaker was found on Wednesday and collected samples.

The investigating officials are trying to track the mobile phones of the two minor girls who were taken away from the house where they were staying with the victim. Police believe that the two minor girls can provide important leads to their investigation into the crime.

According to the post-mortem report of the woman, police suspect that she was throttled to death. The report also suggests that the assailants might have hit her on the head with some heavy object. It also reveals that the crime was committed between 11.30 pm and 12 am on Tuesday night.

Police are also investigating if any members of trafficking racket are involved in the incident.

According to the preliminary investigation, police suspect that some people from the red light area might have been involved in the crime.  After starting an investigation, police have interrogated many people in this connection so far.

Kabita Roy (60) of a short-stay home for destitute children situated in an NGO’s office at Burtala in North Kolkata was killed. Police found that the two minor girls, who were rescued from the adjacent red light area a day ago, were missing.

On Wednesday morning, her body was found in a room of the destitute home situated in the second floor of the NGO’s office building on Nilmoni Mitra Street. Police also came to know in the course of investigation that no one had turned up to the NGO’s office on Tuesday as it was holiday.

Some members of the NGO, who are also sex workers, had found two minor girls moving around aimlessly in the red light area and rescued them.

The girls are originally residents of Bongaon in South 24 Parganas. One of them studies in Class VIII and other in Class IX. They came in touch with two youth through a social networking site and had got engaged into an affair.

They had left home after the youth assured them of marriage. But their journey from Bongaon finally ended at the red light area. However, they had somehow managed to come out of the house of the sex worker to whom the youth had sold the girls.

After rescuing them, the members of the NGO took them to their office where the girls were kept in the short-stay destitute home and their parents were informed.

The Child Welfare Committee was also informed and the formal process of handing over the girls to the parents were about to take place on Wednesday.
Next Story
Share it