UP: Fire breaks out in house, 5 killed
Lucknow: Five members of a family, including a six-month-old girl, died when a fire broke out in a house in Indira Nagar locality here on Wednesday, police said.
The fire broke out at about 6 am when small cooking gas cylinders caught fire in the house in Ram Vihar Phase-II locality, killing Sumit Singh (31), his wife Vandana, their daughter and other family members identified as Julie (42) and Dablu Singh (50), police said.
Though the exact cause of the fire could not be ascertained, police suspect it was due to a short-circuit.
The fire was later doused by a team of fire brigade.
SP (trans-Gomti) Amit Kumar said prima facie it appears that the family used to run an illegal workshop of cooking gas cylinders inside the house. Taking note of the incident, UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath ordered a probe by commissioner, Lucknow division. "The incident should be probed by the commissioner and responsibility fixed for any negligence or shortcomings. He should submit his report within 7 days," the CM said while expressing grief over the deaths.