Number of security men killed in mine blasts has declined: Govt
The number of security personnel killed in mine blasts in the country has sharply declined from 285 in 2010 to only 32 so far this year, the government told Rajya Sabha on Wednesday. Replying to supplementaries, Minister of State for Home Affairs Hansraj Gangaram Ahir said "for the last few years, our security men who have died in mine attacks have reduced largely. We are also using drones and helicopters and other modern equipment."
He said the number of security men who died in mine blasts in 2010 were 285 and the number is gradually coming down. "In 2011, 142 security personnel died in mine attacks, while in 2012, the number came down to 114. In 2013, 115 security personnel died in mine attacks, 88 in 2014, 59 in 2015, 65 in 2016 and so far in 2017 security personnel who died in such attacks came down to only 32," he said.
Ahir said each batallion of security forces have at least one or two mine-protected vehicles (MPVs) and only 10 MPVs have been sent to Kashmir so far.