logo

Burn victim's death: Chandigarh hospital to pay Rs 8L to kin

Burn victims death: Chandigarh hospital to pay Rs 8L to kin
The apex consumer commission has directed Chandigarh-based Government Medical College and Hospital to pay Rs eight lakh to the family members of a burn victim who died after being shifted to a bed that was not disinfected. The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission(NCDRC) held the hospital guilty of medical negligence.

"District Forum and State Commission after elaborate discussion rightly came to the conclusion that after death of Praveen Kumar(another patient) on bed number one, victim Hitender Kakkar was reshifted on the same bed the same day without disinfecting it which amounted to aggravation of infection.

"Complainant's other witnesses had mentioned that even bed sheets were not changed. The counsel for the opposite party (hospital) could not bring to my notice any evidence on record to dispute aforesaid factual aspect," an NCDRC bench, presided by K S Chaudhari, said.

"In such circumstances, it can safely be observed that after the death of Kumar and before shifting Kakkar on the bed, it was not disinfected by hospital which amounted to medical negligence and deficiency on their part," it said.

According to the complaint, Kakkar was admitted in the hospital on October 26, 2008 with 50 per cent burn injuries 2nd and 3rd degree due to fire crackers on his neck, chest, both upper limbs and face.



Agencies

Agencies

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


Share it
Top