Over ` 2 cr donations made by people for martyr's families
A modest Rs 2.10 crore has been donated by the people to a fund set up a month ago by the Home Ministry to help families of paramilitary personnel who laid down their lives fighting extremists.
Rs 60 lakh of the said amount has been received for 25 personnel who were massacred by the Naxals at Sukma in Chhattisgarh on April 24.
"Encouraging response to #BharatKeVeer website. Within a month, the portal has received more than Rs 2 crore for helping martyrs' families," Home Minister Rajnath Singh tweeted.
The app and the website 'BharatKeVeer' was launched last month by Singh along with Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar, who mooted the idea.
General public can make the contribution to support the families of those jawans who died in the line of duty. "The monetary contributions made on the website go straight into the bank account of martyred soldier's family," the home minister said.
Attending the launch of the app and the website, actor Akshay Kumar had lauded the Union home ministry for making his dream come true and providing a platform for everyone to help the next of the kin of slain soldiers financially.
"This website has been made exactly in two-and-a-half months. About three months ago, this idea came in my mind, while watching a documentary film on terrorists, which showed how terror leaders financially support the families of the terrorist who carry out terror acts." Akshay had said at the inauguration.
As many as 2.60 crore people have visited the site so far.
The main objective of the Bharat Ke Veer portal is to enable general public help the families of martyrs by donating money online directly to the individual braveheart's account or to Bharat Ke Veer corpus.