Millennium Post

Indian, Chinese militaries swiftly resolve standoff through talks

Indian, Chinese militaries swiftly resolve standoff through talks

New Delhi: A scuffle broke out between Indian and Chinese soldiers on the bank of the Pangong Tso lake in eastern Ladakh on Wednesday but the matter has been swiftly resolved through talks between the two militaries, Army sources said.

The incident took place after Indian soldiers patrolling the area did not heed to objections to their presence in the area by Chinese troops, the sources said on Thursday.

After the scuffle broke out in the morning, both sides called for reinforcement of troops and there was a standoff between the two sides till the evening, they said.

However, the face-off ended following a delegation-level talks between the two sides late in the evening, the military sources said.

The standoff took place ahead of Chinese President Xi Jinping's scheduled visit to India next month to hold the second informal summit with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

"Both sides disengaged fully after delegation-level talks yesterday. This occurs due to differing perceptions of LAC (Line of Actual Control). There are established mechanisms to resolve such occurrences," said a source.

When asked about the incident, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said it was important to note that how quickly the matter was resolved.

"The matter stands resolved. I think what is important to note is that there are existing mechanisms between India and China to resolve such issues," he said.

"It is also important to note how quickly the matter got resolved. It means that the mechanisms which exist between India and China are working very well," Kumar added.

India and China share a nearly 4,000-km-long border, major parts of which are disputed. Both the countries are separated by the LAC in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.

In August 2017, Indian Army had foiled a Chinese incursion along the banks of Pangong Tso. A group of Chinese soldiers tried to enter the Indian side in two areas - Finger Four and Finger.

In the face-off, both sides had hurled stones at each other and a video of the incident went viral on social media.

The incident along the Pangong Tso lake took place when troops of both sides were locked in the Doklam standoff.

Team MP

Team MP

Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you

Share it