Top
Millennium Post

Bhrashtachari no. 1: Cong moves EC against PM for remark against Rajiv

Bhrashtachari no. 1: Cong moves EC against PM for remark against Rajiv

New Delhi: The Congress approached the Election Commission on Monday, seeking action against Prime Minister Narendra Modi, including a ban on his campaigning, for his remarks against former PM Rajiv Gandhi.

A team of Congress leaders, comprising Abhishek Singhvi, Rajiv Shukla and Salman Khurshid, met the Election Commissioners and demanded that the EC take immediate action against Modi for his remarks, which they termed "uncultured, illegal and against Indian traditions".

"We have sought an immediate ban on the prime minister's campaign. We have emphasised to the Election Commission that it is very important for its own credibility, as the EC had kept complaints pending for over 30 days in the past," Singhvi told reporters.

He said the Congress has so far made 11 complaints with the EC, but no action has been taken, despite going to the Supreme Court.

"There are around two weeks left for the elections (to complete) and there should be an immediate ban on the prime minister's campaigning and a notice of 24 hours should be given at the most and action should come within 48 hours," he said.

On Saturday at a poll rally in Uttar Pradesh, Prime Minister Modi said that the life of Congress chief Rahul Gandhi's father and former PM Rajiv Gandhi had ended as "bhrashtachari number 1".

Singhvi said it seemed the PM was not aware of the Indian culture.

He has a "tendency to make statements for cheap electoral gains", the Congress leader said, noting the remarks were not worthy of a person occupying the top post in the country.

Singhvi said after almost 14 years, a petition was filed against Rajiv Gandhi and the same was turned down by the Supreme Court on November 2, 2018.

Next Story
Share it