Narsingh’s name already sent for Rio Olympics, WFI to HC
Justice Manmohan reserved its order for June 6 on the plea of two-time Olympic medal winner Sushil Kumar seeking direction for holding trials in the 74kg category to enable him secure a berth in the Indian wrestling squad.
The WFI told the court that when Sushil Kumar was sent to Georgia along with other Indian wrestlers earlier this year he left the Indian camp and choose to join the Georgian national team and trained with them.
“He has misappropriated and misused the public money. The govt didn’t send him to Georgia to stay away from the Indian camp and train with Georgian wrestlers,” said the counsel appearing for WFI.
The WFI counsel further said: “I love both Sushil Kumar and Narsingh Yadav, but how can how do injustice to Narsingh when he has secured the berth. All athletes name were sent on May 3 for Rio Olympics. Once Narsingh’s name is sent all speculations end.”
During the hearing the court took note of the Centre’s stand that trials were not necessary as per the National Sports Code.
Senior advocate Amit Sibal, appearing for Sushil Kumar, argued that trials were necessary to access the current form of athletes just before the Olympics.
Kumar, 32, missed the qualification for Rio due to injury, and Narsingh was able to secure the berth.