Millennium Post
Nation

‘N-E monsoon claimed 470 lives in TN’

Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Monday said the “unprecedented” northeast monsoon has killed 470 people and nearly a lakh livestock besides damaging crops in over 3.83 lakh hectares in the state.

Detailing the large-scale destruction caused by heavy rains in four phases during October-December last year, she recalled her demand for a central assistance of Rs 25,912.45 crore for the relief and restoration works.

Noting that the Central team of Inter-Ministerial officials, which earlier assessed the damage caused in the first three phases of rains, will visit the state again from Tuesday for a similar exercise, she expressed hope the Centre will release the “required” assistance based on its report.

Jayalalithaa said despite the state’s preparedness, the damage was “huge” on account of the “unprecedented” rains witnessed in the last century that caused a deluge affecting Chennai, Kancheepuram, Tiruvallore, Cuddalore, Tuticorin and Tirunelveli districts.

In a detailed statement, she said 470 persons had been killed in various rain-related incidents, most of them between October 28 and December 31, 2015.

“During the northeast monsoon period between October 1 and 27, as many as 49 persons died. 421 persons died of various reasons including drowning, electrocution, lightning strike and wall collapse between October 28 and December 31, 2015,” she said.

Although the northeast monsoon season stretches between October 1 to December 31, it had set late on October 28 this year, she said.

The government had provided relief of Rs four lakh each to families of 245 victims and the rest will be covered in the coming days, she said.

The Chief Minister pegged the area of crop loss at 3,82,768 hectares.

Over 3.47 lakh hectares of agricultural crops and 35,471 hectares of horticultural crops have suffered damage, she said adding 68,350 farmers had been compensated with Rs 29.48 crore. The rest will be covered soon, she said.

A total of 30.42 lakh families had suffered partial or complete damage to their dwelling units, including huts, with the government completing the survey of 14 lakh families in this connection, she said.

She gave away the relief amount to five persons on Monday to mark the launch of the efforts and the cash assistance for the identified 14 lakh families will be deposited on Monday itself in their bank accounts, she said adding the rest will be covered by January 11. 
Next Story
Share it