Mother found with her newborn’s corpse in Nadia, detained

In a macabre incident, a mother at Kaliganj village in Nadia was found holding her dead newborn baby for two days. The incident sparked tension in the area after the matter came to light. On 
Sunday morning the villagers at Kaliganj suspected that there must be something wrong after they smelt foul smell in the area.

After being informed by the residents, the police reached the spot and recovered the newborn’s body from the clutches of her mother. Police have started an investigation in this regard. They are yet to ascertain whether the mother was suffering from any psychological disorder. It was learnt from the local sources and the police that the baby was born on Saturday but there are no details as of yet to when the baby died. The police have detained the dead baby’s mother Poly Sarkar.

Poly, however, claimed in the interrogation that she gave birth to the baby on Saturday and few moments later the baby died and she had held onto the baby since his death. The baby’s father Ashim Naskar has been absconding since the incident. The local people, however, alleged that Poly and his husband Ashim might have killed the baby. They alleged that the couple might have done this as both of them used to work as labourers and did not have good financial condition to rear up the child as they already had four children.

The police have started an investigation. They are conducting raids to catch the father of the baby. They are also interrogating Poly who has been held by the police. Police are investigating whether the new born died a natural death or if there was foul play involved behind his death. Police are yet to 
ascertain the timing when the baby had died. 

On June 2015, the Robinson street incident had shaken the entire state after Partha De had held onto his dead elder sister Debjani’s body for at least 6 months. The matter came to light after Partha’s father committed suicide by setting himself on fire inside a toilet of their house situated on 14 Robinson Street in the city.

When the police reached the house to recover the dead body of Partha’s father they found the mortal remains of Debjani had remained in the house for half a year in the house.


Our contributor helps bringing the latest updates to you


View All

Latest News

View All
Share it