Home > Sports > Morgan, Hales out of Bangladesh trip over security fears

Morgan, Hales out of Bangladesh trip over security fears

 PTI |  2016-09-13 21:45:04.0  |  UK

Morgan, Hales out of Bangladesh trip over security fears

Following the July attacks the ECB sent an inspection team to Bangladesh led by their long-serving security chief Reg Dickason.

After he reported back, the board confirmed last month that the tour, which is scheduled to run until November 1, would go ahead as planned. "A thorough and detailed risk assessment was approved and accepted by the ECB Board and the England players and management have been fully briefed on all aspects of the safety and security arrangements," the ECB statement added.

Morgan explained last week his thinking had been influenced by a bomb exploding at a 2010 Indian Premier League match and the violent background to a brief spell in the 2013/14 Dhaka Premier Division.

"In 2010 we played an IPL game in Bangalore and a bomb went off in the ground. We immediately left for the airport. So that was an instance. Another one was (in) Bangladesh playing domestic cricket during political elections when things were incredibly violent."

The Irishman added: "I think ultimately, as I've said before, as an individual you need to be comfortable within yourself to focus on cricket. "I've been to places before where things have become a distraction and it's only been once or twice when security's been a distraction and I've told myself I'd never put myself in that situation again."

Test captain Alastair Cook is understood to have given a private assurance he will be on the tour, while coach Trevor Bayliss, who was on the Sri Lanka bus that came under armed attack in Lahore in 2009, has stated publicly he will travel to Bangladesh. 

Share it
Top