Military denies return of US trainers
The Pakistani military on Thursday denied claims by US officials that a group of American trainers had returned to the country several months after their departure
following a deadly NATO air strike that had killed 24 soldiers.
'The news of returning of US trainers to Pakistan is not correct,' said a brief statement from the Pakistani military. An unnamed US official had been quoted by the media as saying that nearly 10 military trainers were back in Pakistan as a sign of a thaw in the bilateral relationship. The official said US special forces soldiers
had been sent to a training site near
Peshawar, where they will instruct trainers from Pakistan's Frontier Corps in counter-insurgency warfare.
Pakistan had sought the withdrawal of US trainers after the NATO air strike hit two of its border posts in the tribal belt.