Fire broke out at Canning market in South 24 Parganas on late Saturday night. The market was closed and most of the workers associated with the shops were sleeping when the flames were first noticed.
People inside the market rushed outside and started screaming. After hearing about the incident, the local residents rushed to the spot and started throwing buckets full of water at those places were the blaze was seen.
According to the fire brigade, around 20 shops were completely gutted in fire. No casualty was reported in the incident.
Preliminary investigation suggests that an electrical short circuit might have led to the fire.
Local residents alleged that fire engines reached the spot after 45 minutes of the incident.
Police said that the local people spotted thick smoke billowing out of a shop at around 2.15 am. It had become difficult for the local residents to douse the flame as the fire soon spread in other shops.
Five fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the flame.
The fire was brought under control after putting up an effort for two years. The local residents have alleged that the devastating fire could have been prevented if the fire engines had reached the spot on time.
Police said that this was an age-old market. There could be many reasons for the fire.
The fire officials will inquire about the reasons of the fire. A senior police officer reached the spot and helped the locals to expedite the rescue operation.
Police carried out a search to ensure that no one is trapped inside the market.
The workers who were there inside the market were really scared.
They were rescued by the local people and police. It was not easy task for the fire brigade officers to know the narrow lanes of this market area.
The local residents helped them a lot in the rescue operation.
Police and fire brigade officials are yet to ascertain the exact cause of the fire and the extent of the damage.