Millennium Post
Nation

LeT man Nasir main suspect

Sources in National Investigation Agency (NIA) said Riyazuddin Nasir, who was arrested earlier in connection with the 2007 Lumbini Park blast, is being questioned by the cops.
 
A terror module busted by special cell of the Delhi Police last year had also indicated towards Indian Mujahideen operatives carrying out a reconnaissance of the Dilsukh Nagar area, where the blasts took place on Thursday.

‘We cannot comment on who are the perpetrators of this blast, but we have mobilised several teams to work on this,’ sources added. LeT operates through its local affiliate Indian Mujahideen.

Two blasts had taken place on 25 August 2007 in Hyderabad’s Lumbini Park and at Gokul Chat Bhandar, in which 44 people were killed and 60 were injured. Nasir was arrested by Hyderabad police in 2008 in connection with the case.

This twin blast had followed the Mecca Masjid blast, which took place on 18 May 2007 during Friday prayers. One person, Tej Ram, was arrested, who was believed to be a member of the right-wing group  suspected to be behind the Samjhauta Express blast which claimed 68 lives on 18 February 2007.

A team of NIA from headquarters in Delhi has been sent to Hyderabad. Meanwhile, officials from the NIA hub in Hyderabad immediately rushed to the spot. Home Secretary R K Singh confirmed that a team of NIA, led by an Inspector General of Police, has been set up to investigate the matter. They took over investigation from the local team on reaching Hyderabad.

The other theory doing the rounds is that in October last year, Delhi police special cell apprehended Sayed Maqbool, an IM terrorist, in connection with Pune serial blasts on 1 August 2012 from Hyderabad railway station. Maqbool told investigators that Hyderabad might be attacked in future.

Maqbool was a resident of Maharashtra’s Nanded. He allegedly taught suspected IM terrorists how to make IEDs. He was in contact with Asad Khan, Imran Khan, Sayed Feroz and Langde Irfan Mustafa, who were arrested in Pune serial blasts case. All five arrestees told special cell that a terror attack is likely in Hyderabad.

Sources in the cell said, ‘Maqbool had done a recce of Dilsukhnagar in April 2012 and gave a comprehensive report to Yasin Bhatkal.’ Not only this, on 11 February, Mumbai ATS held a press conference with a special input that a terror attack could take place. ATS chief Rakesh Maria released four photographs of the Indian Mujahideen terrorists disclosing their names. These photographs, along with the inputs, were also shared with all investigating agencies.

In the presser, police had announced a reward money of Rs 10 lakh on Bhatkal alias Mohammed Ahmed Mohammed Zarrar Siddhibappa, founder leader of IM. Along with him, photographs of Asadullah Akhtar alias Tabrez (accused in terror attacks in Delhi, Bangalore, Ahmedabad and Surat), Tahaseen Akhtar (accused of planting a bomb in Dadar in Mumbai) and Waqas alias Ahmed (accused in Mumbai attack) were released.

NIA was also on a man-hunt after the special cell and Mumbai ATS got information of possibility of attack. But before any one could be nabbed, the serial blast in Hyderabad took place.
Next Story
Share it