Top
Millennium Post

Woman found dead inside flat at Sarsuna

Kolkata: A woman was found dead inside her flat in Sarsuna on the wee hours of Tuesday. Locals saw smoke coming out of the room and informed police. However, the deceased woman identified as Goutami Barua (24), did not suffer any burn injury. It is suspected that she might have died due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to sources, Barua lived in an apartment located at the ground floor of 184/6 Sarkarhat Lane. Since her mother's death in 2016, she used to live alone. However, several of her relatives live in the same apartment.

On Tuesday at around 3:15 am, one of Barua's relatives saw smoke coming out of her flat. She then ran downstairs and called Barua. She also knocked on the door but found no response.

She then informed her neighbour who resides in the same apartment. Later, they called up Sarsuna police station and informed about the situation. After police broke the door of the flat, they found Barua lying unconscious on the floor near the main door. She was rushed to Vidyasagar State General Hospital, where she died later.

Coincidentally, Monday was the day of her mother's death anniversary. She was married but used to stay separated from her husband. Barua was reportedly suffering from depression since her mother's death.

Police also came to know that while sleeping at night she regularly used mosquito repellent coils. She used to smoke cigarettes as well. It is suspected that somehow fire came in touch with the bed sheet and while it burned, carbon monoxide filled the room.

Police have sent the body for autopsy to identify the exact cause of death. No foul play has been detected till Tuesday night.

Next Story
Share it