Millennium Post

Villagers at Uluberia fall ill after gas leakage

Kolkata: Some villagers at Howrah's Uluberia fell ill after inhaling poisonous gas which leaked from a container.
The incident triggered tension among locals. The gas container was kept inside a chemical go-down in Palora area of Uluberia on Sunday morning.
Locals told the police that the gas container was taken to the go-down by a truck. The gas container was kept outside the go-down when it started leaking.
Some of the locals felt a burning sensation in their eyes and complained serious respiratory distress following the incident.
After being informed, police and fire brigade officials reached the spot. The police cordoned off the entire area. Senior police officers also reached the spot immediately. The fire personnel faced difficulties to reach up to the gas container due to pungent smell of the gas. A fire person also fell ill. The fire personnel later put on masks and took the gas container at a deserted place and brought the situation under control.
Locals, however, alleged that fire personnel reached the spot late. The fire brigade officials initially tried to identify the leakage. After identifying the leakage, they started repairing it. A senior fire department official said leakage might have been caused when it was put on the ground from the truck or during transportation. According to preliminary investigation, the fire officials suspect that it could be Benjamin cyanide. Police held the owner of the chemical go-down for interrogation.
Next Story
Share it